Different Types of Donors.
1. Voluntary Blood Donors.
Voluntary Non-remunerated blood Donors, who donate Blood out of altruism without accepting anything in cash or Kind.
- Arpan Blood Bank Collects Blood /Componants ONLY from Voluntary Donors.
- Maharashtra Government Awarded Arpan Blood Bank in 2011 for 100 % Voluntary
- Blood Donation & Highest collection.
There is No Doubt that Voluntary Non-remunerated repeat Donors are the Foundation of a Safe sustainable and dependable blood supply.
Repeat Donors offer multiple benefits like :
• They are repeatedly tested for TTI ( Transfusion Transmissible Infections).hence the prevalence of TTI in them is lower than new Donors.
• Voluntary Donors are committed and respond quickly during shortage as they are aware of Importance of Donation in saving patients’ lives & help them to improve the morbidity
- 2.Replacement Donors.
Donors, who are relatives,colleagues,Friends of Patient and Donate Blood to replace the Blood units given by Blood Bank.
- 3. Directed or Designated or Targeted Donors :
Often Patients insist that they should be transfused with the blood of their relatives or Friends. These Donations are considered as Directed Donations.
DISADVANTAGES OF Replacement /Directed Donors.
Such Donations breach the confidentiality; as patient knows whose blood he or she is being transfused.
Directed donations not only put up a lot of pressure on the Blood Bank but also costs more ,particularly if the component preparations is involved. Most of the time the directed donor’s blood is very quickly screened for TTI and transfused fresh blood to designated patient thus making it unsafe for transfusion
Relatives /Friends under stress, who have promised to donate blood, may conceal important information.
When Blood Bank has properly screened stored Blood available directed donation requests are illogical.
- “Graft Versus Host Disease in the recipient” which is risky & may threaten life of the Patient.
Most Important is Transfusion of a blood from sibling or close relatives may cause
That’s how Voluntary Donations/ Repeat Donations are Safer Blood Donations for Patient Safety .
Donate Your Blood & be a Hero by saving precious Human lives.