Blood is always needed
- The blood supply must cover every day needs and unexpected disasters. Frequent volunteer blood donors ensure that blood is ready (collected and tested) and available year-round whenever and wherever it is needed.
- A common misunderstanding about blood usage is that accident victims are the patients who use the most blood. Actually, people who receive the most blood include those:
For the treatment of various anemias
being treated for cancer
undergoing orthopedic surgeries
undergoing organ and marrow transplants
undergoing cardiovascular surgeries
being treated for inherited blood disorders
- Major disasters do not usually required large amounts of blood, and in most cases hospital rely on the blood that is available in blood banks to save life.
- But that's when blood bank see the greatest outpouring of support from donors.
- Blood is needed every day. You can help blood bank fulfill every request for blood by making sure it is available before it's needed.